Forgotten Roast Beef
4 to 4 servings
Trust me, this works. Not only is it the easiest roast beef you'll ever make, but it also might be the best. Follow directions exactly and you'll be amazed.
- 2 kg eye of round roast
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves , squished
- 1 tbsp coarse salt
- 1 tbsp coarsely ground or cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp chopped rosemary , (or slightly less dried)
- In a small bowl, stir together the mustard and garlic. With a basting brush, coat the meat on all sides, using all of the mustard mixture. In another small bowl, mix together the salt, pepper and rosemary. Sprinkle evenly all over the meat.
- Lightly grease a 9 x 13 in. (23 x 33 cm) baking dish. Place the roast in the pan – if it has a thin end, tuck it underneath to give the meat a blocky shape.
- Preheat the oven to 500°F (260°C). Place the roast in the oven, close the door and immediately turn the oven temperature down to 475°F (245°C). Roast for exactly 7 minutes per pound – for the 4 lb (2 kg) roast, you’ll need 28 minutes. (If your meat is slightly bigger or smaller, simply increase or decrease roasting time accordingly.)
- Now turn the oven off. And go away. Do not open the door for 2½ hours. I am not kidding. (I had to put a threatening sticker on the oven door because Jared said that telling him not to open the door just made him want to do it.)
- At the end of 2½ hours, the roast will be perfectly done, and juices will have accumulated in the bottom of the baking pan. Remove the meat, slice thinly to serve. Reheat the pan juices and serve with the roast.