Brisket in BBQ Gravy
This article has not been rated yet.
Step 1: Make this amazing pot roast for dinner, maybe on a Sunday night. It takes time in the oven, but very little effort.
Step 2: Store sliced leftovers in the fridge.
Step 3: Make incredible lunches throughout the week.
Step 4: Congratulate yourself on your clever planning.
Recipe by Bonny Reichert
, or red wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). In a small bowl, combine salt and paprika; rub all over brisket and set aside. In a medium bowl, mix ketchup, barbecue sauce, water and vinegar.
- In a roasting pan, lay down sliced onions and whole garlic cloves. Lay brisket overtop, fat side up, and pour sauce on top of that. Cover and stick in the oven for 21⁄2-3 hours.
- Let the oven do its work, basting the brisket every 45 minutes or so. If the pan looks as if it’s drying up, add another 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) water before returning to the oven. Take the cover off during the last half-hour of cooking to brown the top of the meat. You’ll know it’s ready when a fork goes in easily (don’t try this before the 2-hour mark).
- Remove fat from brisket, then slice and serve for dinner with BBQ gravy, potatoes, or pasta, and cooked veg. Store leftover sliced meat in the refrigerator.
- The next morning, remove solidified fat from the top of the gravy and re-purpose leftovers in one of these yummy ways:
- Heat slices of meat and a little of the gravy in the microwave or on top of the stove. Cut into bite-sized pieces and pack with some of the gravy. (To ensure the food you pack stays hot, warm the Thermos by filling with boiling water first; drain just before you’re ready to add food.) Don’t forget to send a fork!
- Pile cold sliced brisket in a sandwich with a little of the gravy spread on the bread as a condiment.
- Try shredding the meat and serving it in tacos (hard or soft) with chopped tomatoes, avocado and sour cream.
- Serves 4 for dinner, with plentiful leftovers for lunch.
- In a serving: 404 calories, 48.1 g protein, 17.3 g fat, 11.7 g carbohydrates, 4.8 mg iron, 9.9 mg zinc