Beef Pot Roast and Potatoes in Tomato Gravy
This article has not been rated yet.
A hearty meat and potatoes dinner plus a rich-tasting gravy, made all in one dish.
For extra-rich gravy flavour, choose a tomato sauce with red wine flavouring.
Use unpeeled mini-potatoes to save time chopping larger spuds.
For a lighter taste, use half chicken stock, half beef stock.
beef sirloin roast
, cut in half
2 1/2 cups
, (about 625 g)
, peeled and coarsely chopped
, peeled and quartered
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). In a deep 12 in (30 cm) diameter ovenproof frying pan, heat oil on the stovetop on medium. Add beef roast and brown on all sides. Mix together flour and paprika; sprinkle onto all sides of meat and continue browning.
- Push meat to one side of pan to make room for other ingredients. Add tomato sauce to pan and cook, stirring, until sauce thickens into a paste, about 3 minutes. Gradually add broth and stir into tomato paste until smooth.
- Move meat back to centre of pan. Baste with broth mixture.
- Add potatoes, carrots, onions and bay leaf. Cover with lid and bring to simmer. Transfer to oven and bake on middle rack 1-2 hours (the longer you cook, the more tender the roast will be).
- Remove roast to board and slice thinly across grain. If desired, thicken gravy by briefly simmering on stove. Serve roast with vegetables, spooning gravy overtop.
- Makes 4-6 servings.
- In a serving: 479 calories, 44.5 g protein, 20.8 g fat, 26.5 g carbohydrates, 3.5 g dietary fibre, 5.6 mg iron, 9.5 mg zinc