Originally published in the Today’s Parent Summer 2017 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Cuban Pork Barley BowlBy Chatelaine
A restaurant-style grain bowl is easy to make at home. With perfectly spiced Cuban pork, tender sweet potatoes and a creamy lime sauce, this recipe will go into weekly rotation.
- 1 cup pearl barley
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- ¾ tsp dried oregano
- ¾ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil , divided
- 450 g pork tenderloin , cut into ¾-in. cubes
- 1 sweet potato , peeled and cut into ½-in. cubes
- 4 cups packed chopped kale
- 1 cup no-salt added black beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado , pitted, peeled and chopped
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro , leaves and stems
- 3 tbsp lime juice or white vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- pinch salt
- Cook barley following package directions until tender, about 25 min. Drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk orange and lime juices, garlic, oregano, cumin, salt and 1 tbsp of the olive oil. Add pork and stir to coat. Let stand for 15 min.
- In a blender or food processor, whirl dressing ingredients and ½ cup water until smooth.
- Heat remaining 1 tbsp oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium. Add sweet potato and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 8 min. Transfer to a plate. Add pork to same frying pan, discarding marinade, and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and cooked through, about 5 min.
- Divide barley among four bowls. Top with sweet potato, pork, kale and black beans. Serve with Cilantro Lime Dressing.
Store unused dressing in a covered jar in the refrigerator for up to five days.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 36 g,
- 75 g,
- 27 g,
- 13 g,
- 285 mg.