Yogurt Saskatoon Bran Muffins
12 to 12 servings
Contributed by Sherry Schoepp, Grenfell, Saskatchewan Winner of the Muffin and Quick Bread Contest, muffin category. OK, we admit it: We are suckers for a good bran muffin. And these are really good. Made with yogurt and natural bran, they couldn’t be more wholesome. And with Saskatoon berries – I mean, can you get any more Canadian than that? (If you can’t get your mitts on Saskatoons, we found that wild blueberries are a reasonable substitute.)
- 1 cup plain or vanilla yogurt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup canola oil , (or other vegetable oil)
- 1 cup natural bran
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup Saskatoon berries , (or blueberries)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 12-compartment muffin pan or line with paper liners.
- In a bowl, stir together the yogurt and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the brown sugar, egg and oil. Stir in the bran and vanilla, and mix well; then add the flour, baking powder and cinnamon, and stir to combine. Fold in the yogurt mixture and the Saskatoon berries. Spoon into prepared muffin pan and bake about 30 minutes or until a toothpick poked into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.