Un-tossed Cobb Salad
This article has not been rated yet.
Arranging the various elements of this salad on a platter makes for a more kid-friendly presentation than something that's all mixed up. Don't like red onions? They're easy to avoid. Don't like shrimp? Use 2 cups (500 mL) chopped, cooked chicken or turkey instead.
- 1 tbsp grainy Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 4 strips smoked bacon
- 454 g large fresh shrimps , peeled and deveined, or frozen shrimp, thawed (don't use precooked type)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes , halved
- 2 avocados , peeled and cubed
- 1/2 red onion , sliced
- 1 head Boston lettuce , washed and dried
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese , or blue cheese (optional)
- In a bowl, whisk together mustard, lemon juice, dill, sugar, salt and pepper. Whisk in olive oil until well combined. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon, turning occasionally, until crispy — about 8 minutes. Use tongs to transfer bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate; let cool and crumble.
- Drain all but 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the bacon fat from skillet and cook shrimp until golden and cooked through — about 2 minutes per side. Remove from skillet and let cool.
- Arrange the shrimp in one section of a large platter. Do the same with the tomatoes, avocado, red onion, lettuce, crumbled bacon and cheese. Serve with dressing on the side.