True North Butter Tarts
This article has not been rated yet.
These easy-to-make butter tarts will be loved by everyone—Canadians and visitors both.
- 1/4 cup butter , softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp lemon juice , (or vinegar)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup raisins , chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- 12 unbaked 3-in. tart shells , (home-made or store-bought)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F(180°C).
- In a medium bowl, with an electric mixer, beat together the butter and brown sugar until creamy. Add the corn syrup, egg, lemon juice and vanilla, and continue beating until the mixture is smooth.
- If you’re using raisins or nuts, divide them equally among the 12 unbaked tart shells. Jared is vehemently opposed to the inclusion of any lumps in his butter tarts, while Dustin is equally adamant that there be nuts in his. We always make some of each.
- Over the nuts, spoon the filling mixture, dividing it evenly. There should be about 1 heaping teaspoon (5 mL) of filling in each tart shell. Bake on the lowest rack in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the filling is slightly browned and puffy.
- Let cool completely before devouring.