Spinach Lorraine Strata
We swapped the usual bacon for spinach and ham to make this yummy breakfast dish healthier, and totally dinner-worthy.
- 1/2 loaf soft French bread , (not baguette)
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp regular or grainy Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 300 g frozen spinach , thawed
- 2 cups grated Gruyere
- 175 g ham steak , chopped
- 4 green onions , thinly sliced, or 1 bunch chives, snipped
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Cut bread into 1 in (2.5 cm) cubes. Generously oil a 9 x 13 in (3 L) baking dish. Add bread cubes. Bake in centre of preheated oven until toasted, about 10 minutes. Let cool for 5-10 minutes while preparing filling.
- Meanwhile, whisk eggs with milk, mustard and pepper. Squeeze out excess liquid from spinach. Stir into eggs, along with cheese, ham and onions. Pour over slightly cooled bread cubes. Stir and turn to evenly distribute.
- Bake in centre of preheated oven until firm to the touch, 35-40 minutes. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving. Leftovers will keep well, covered and refrigerated, for up to 2 days.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 27 g,
- 26 g,
- 19 g,
- 2 g,