If you can't decide whether you want savoury or sweet croissants, make some of each and everyone's happy.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar , (use only if you're making sweet croissants)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter , cut into chunks
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 tbsp chopped herbs
- 2 tbsp cinnamon sugar
- 1/4 cup grated chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 425°C (220°F), and lightly grease a cookie sheet.
- In a large bowl (or in the container of a food processor), mix together the flour, sugar (if you’re using it), baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the chunks of cold butter: Either cut in using a pastry blender, or process until it forms a solft dough that sticks together.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead once or twice. Divide the dough into two equal lumps.
- Working with one lump of dough at a time, roll out on a floured surface into a fairly even circle 9 in (23 cm) across and 1/4 (0.5cm) thick. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle evenly with half of whatever filling you’ve chosen to use. With a sharp knife or pizza whell, cut into 6 wedges. Roll each wedge up, starting at the wide end and rolling toward the point, pressing lightly so it sticks. Pace point-side-down on the prepared cookie sheet and bend slightly to form a crescent. Continue with the remaining wedges. Repeat with the second lump of dough.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, just until lightly browned on the bottom and beginning to colour slightly on the top.