Picnic Chicken Fingers
Cold fried chicken - that good old picnic standard - has two serious drawbacks, from a kid's point of view. Skin and bones. These fingers have neither. Perfect.
- 500 g skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp uncooked semolina , (cream of wheat cereal)
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper , (or to taste)
- Cut chicken breasts lengthwise into strips – each breast should make 4 or 5 fingers. In a bowl, beat the egg with the vegetable oil. Add the chicken strips, tossing to coat with the egg mixture.
- In another bowl, combine the bread crumbs, semolina, flour, salt, paprika and pepper. Coat the chicken strips with this mixture, pressing the crumbs onto the chicken strips so that they stick. If your child is doing this job, remind him not to taste the bread-crumb mixture after it has been in contact with the raw chicken, and to wash his hands after he is finished. Place strips on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake strips at 375 F (190 C) for 10 minutes, turn strips over and bake for another 10 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- P.S. Don’t forget the dipping sauce!