A classic. Good hot or cold, ridiculously easy to make, and very easy to eat.
- 12 chicken drumsticks , (about 1.25 kg)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- dash hot pepper sauce , (optional)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano , crumbled
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Rinse the drumsticks, pat dry and place in a zip-top plastic bag.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, oil and hot pepper sauce (if you’re using it). Pour into the bag with the drumsticks, press as much air out of the bag as possible, and zip the bag shut. Gently squish the bag so that the buttermilk mixture coats the chicken, then refrigerate for at least 1 hour (or as long as overnight).
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Arrange a rack on a cookie sheet and grease the rack lightly.
- In a clean plastic bag, combine the flour, paprika, oregano, salt and pepper. Working with one or two drumsticks at a time, shake off the excess marinade and drop into the bag with the flour mixture. Hold shut, then shake to coat well. Remove from the bag and place on the prepared rack. Repeat until all the drumsticks have been coated. (Discard marinade and flour mixture.)
- Place in the preheated oven and bake, turning over halfway through, for 45 to 50 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through, nicely browned and crisp.
- Remove from the oven and either serve immediately or refrigerate to serve later.