No-Cook Strawberry Freezer Jam
This article has not been rated yet.
It doesn't matter how many other kinds of jam we have in the house - if there's no strawberry, it's a disaster as far as the guys are concerned. This jam is easy, requires no cooking whatsoever, and is absolutely delicious.
sliced or well mashed ripe
, (washed and hulled, please)
3 1/4 cups
light fruit pectin crystals
, (do not substitute any other type)
- Dump the sliced or mashed strawberries into a large bowl. Hand your assistant a wooden spoon and instruct her to stir while you measure the sugar. After all that hulling and washing, I’m sure she will be delighted to be assigned another job.
- Measure the sugar into another large bowl. Remove ¼ cup (50 mL)of it, and mix this with the pectin crystals in a small bowl. Stir the pectin – sugar mixture into the strawberries, and have your helper keep stirring until well mixed. Now, let this stand for about half an hour, stirring from time to time. It will thicken a bit.
- Add the remaining sugar to the strawberry mixture, and stir for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Ladle the jam into jars or containers(any clean container will do)leaving at least ¼ inch (½ cm) headroom at the top to allow for expansion during freezing. Cover the containers with lids, and let them stand at room temperature for 24 hours.
- Label the containers artistically (sTraBrry jAm) and put into the freezer – saving just a teensy little bit to sample right away. Any unfrozen jam must be stored in the refrigerator.