Grilled Sausage with Wheat Berry Salad
This article has not been rated yet.
Have you tried wheat berries? They're simply wheat kernels with the outer hull removed. An excellent source of dietary fibre, they cook up as easily as pasta (though not as quickly) and are available in supermarkets and bulk stores
- 4 bratwurst sausages
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 1 cup diced red sweet peppers
- 1 cup diced, peeled carrots
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onion
- 1/2 tsp salt
- black pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- On a greased grill preheated to medium high, grill sausages, turning often, until cooked through—about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly; slice and set aside.
- While the sausages are grilling, cook wheat berries in a large pot of boiling salted water, uncovered, until softened—about 40 minutes. Drain. Combine in a large bowl with red peppers, carrots, cucumber, green onion, salt, pepper, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Toss gently to combine. Add sausage and parsley, and toss again.