Originally published in the Today’s Parent January 2015 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
“Fried” Chicken and ColeslawBy Chatelaine
4 adult servings
Crushed cornflakes are the secret ingredient to give chicken drumsticks that deep "fried" feel. Your little ones will gobble these up by the bucket.
- 3 cups cornflakes
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup honey , divided
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 10 chicken drumsticks , skin removed
- 1/2 tsp salt , divided
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 napa cabbage , shredded, about 8 cups
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a large baking sheet with foil.
- Crush cornflakes with your hands in a medium bowl until finely crumbled.
- Whisk egg with 2 tbsp honey and Dijon in another medium bowl.
- Pat drumsticks dry with paper towels. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt. Coat each drumstick with egg mixture, then press into cornflake crumbs to completely cover. Place coated chicken on prepared sheet.
- Bake in centre of oven until golden brown, 30 to 35 min. 6. Whisk oil with lemon juice, remaining 2 tbsp honey and remaining 1/4 tsp salt. Season with fresh pepper. Add napa cabbage and toss to combine.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 52 g,
- 32 g,
- 28 g,
- 2 g,
- 727 mg.