Photo by Roberto Caruso.
Caramelized Onion DipBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
This onion dip is a good time, guaranteed. A mix of sweet and salty, it's got finely chopped bacon hiding out the creamy mixture.
- 4 slices bacon , finely chopped
- 2 large sweet onions , chopped
- 2 tsp honey
- 4 tsp oyster sauce
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups sour cream
- ¾ cup finely chopped cilantro or parsely
- 2 tbsp fried shallots , optional
- Heat an extra-large non-stick frying pan over medium. Add bacon, cook for 2 min, then add onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are brown and soft, about 15 min. Stir in honey, oyster sauce and salt. Cook for 2 min, then remove from heat. Let cool for at least 20 min.
- In a medium bowl, stir onion mixture with sour cream and cilantro or parsley. Sprinkle with fried shallots, if desired. Serve with carrots, green beans, crackers or chips.