Originally published in the Today’s Parent September/October 2020 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Big Italian pasta saladBy Chatelaine
Pull this big and hearty pasta salad together in under 30 minutes. It's the perfect addition to those late summer picnics and potlucks.
- 375 g rotini pasta , (about 4 cups)
- 8 slices salami , chopped
- 2 jarred roasted red peppers , drained and chopped
- 2 cups grape tomatoes , halved
- 170-mL jar marinated artichoke hearts , drained and chopped (optional)
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3/4 cup diced mozzarella
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 5 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 3/4 cup finely grated Parmesan
- Cook pasta following package directions. Reserve ½ cup pasta water, then drain and rinse. Transfer pasta to a large bowl and let cool.
- Add salami, roasted peppers, tomatoes, artichokes (if using), basil and mozzarella, stirring to combine.
- Vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together garlic, oil, vinegar and Italian seasoning. Whisk in reserved pasta water. Pour over pasta mixture and toss to coat. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and toss to combine.
Mix it up
Mix things up with a whole wheat or gluten-free pasta. Increase the green factor by swapping out basil for 2 cups baby arugula.
Make it vegetarian
This pasta can be made meat-free by swapping out salami for 1 cup of canned chickpeas.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 18 g,
- 58 g,
- 24 g,
- 6 g,
- 730 mg.