Beet Apple Cake
Sneak a serving of vegetables into your family with this tasty beet apple cake. Serve with ice cream or frozen yoghurt.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup beet apple purée , (recipe below)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cherry extract , or almond extract (optional)
Beet apple purée
- 2 beets , peeled and chopped
- 2 apples , peeled, cored and chopped
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips , (optional)
- Beet Apple Purée: Place 2 peeled, chopped beets and 2 peeled, cored and chopped apples in a saucepan with just enough water to cover (a few pieces will float). Top with lid and bring to a boil. Simmer until a fork easily pierces beets, about 15 minutes. Drain well. Purée beets and apples in a food processor. Cool to room temperature before adding to cake batter. (Recipe yields more puree than you’ll need, so freeze leftovers for another time.)
- Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease an 8 in (20 cm) square pan or line it with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, whisk measured flour with baking soda, baking powder and salt. Place butter in another large bowl. Using an electric mixer, gradually beat in sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs, beet apple purée, vanilla and cherry (or almond) extracts. The mixture may look curdled, but that’s OK.
- Gradually beat flour mixture into beet apple mixture. Continue beating another minute on medium speed until smooth. Scrape batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle chocolate chips (if using) evenly overtop and gently press down into batter, hiding chips to prevent them from melting.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes on middle rack, or until toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool cake in pan for 10 minutes, then remove from pan, peeling off parchment (if using).
- Allow to cool completely before slicing into squares.