Asian-inspired Flank Steak
This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 4 servings
My vegetarian son says if one dish could ever lure him back to meat, this would be it. The trick here is the kid-pleasing marinade, which is essential for both flavour and tenderness because flank is a tougher cut Recipe by Bonny Reichert
- 1/2 medium onion , sliced
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves , smashed
- 1 tbsp tamari , or soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- lime juice , from 1/2 lime
- 1 tbsp maple syrup , or brown sugar
- pinch hot-pepper flakes , (optional)
- 1 800-g to 1.5-kg beef flank steak
- salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- Place all the marinade ingredients in a large zip-top bag and squish to combine. Add the steak, seal the bag and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- When you’re ready to cook, remove steak from bag, discarding marinade. Sprinkle meat with a little salt and pepper. Cook on a grill, preheated to high, for 7 to 9 minutes each side for medium rare, turning once. (Rainy day? No outdoor grill? Try pan-searing – search for “Pan-seared Steak in our Recipe File).
- After cooking, let meat rest 5 to 10 minutes to retain its juices. Slice thinly across the grain, on the diagonal, and serve with rice or stir-fried veggies, or on a bed of salad greens.