Originally published in the Today’s Parent May/June 2019 issue. Photo by Roberto Caruso.
Swedish meatballs and egg noodlesBy Chatelaine
IKEA's got nothing on these tasty meatballs! Scandinavian-inspired, this weeknight meal will fill their bellies with tasty noodles and a rich, creamy sauce.
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard , divided
- 1 small onion , finely chopped, divided
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce , divided
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 400 g lean ground beef
- 2 tsp olive oil , divided
- 227-g pkg sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 cups no-yolk egg noodles
- 2 tbsp chopped parsely , (optional)
- Whisk egg with 1 tbsp Dijon in a large bowl. Stir in 1/4 cup onion, 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, allspice and salt. Season with pepper. Using hands, crumble in beef and mix until combined. Roll into 1-in. balls (about 1 tbsp each).
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high and cook meatballs, turning occasionally, until golden-brown, 3 to 4 min. Transfer to a plate.
- Add remaining oil to pan. Cook mushrooms and remaining onion until mushrooms soften, 3 to 4 min. Stir in broth, sour cream, and remaining 1 tbsp Dijon and Worcestershire sauce. Return meatballs to pan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until sauce starts to thicken, 8 to 10 min.
- Cook noodles according to package directions, 4 to 6 min. Drain and top
with meatballs, sauce and parsley.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 31 g,
- 36 g,
- 22 g,
- 4 g,
- 748 mg.