Originally published in the May + June 2018 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Sausage, Kale and White Bean RigatoniBy Chatelaine
If it's a comforting dish of pasta you're after, you've come to the right place. Cannellini beans, spicy sausage, softened kale and ribbed rigatoni pasta are what's up.
- 250 g rigatoni pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 hot Italian or garlic sausages , casings removed
- 6 green onions , chopped, white and green parts separated
- 6 cups chopped kale
- 398-mL can no-salt-added cannellini beans , drained, rinsed and slightly mashed
- ½ tsp each salt and pepper
- finely grated Parmesan , optional
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta following package directions. Reserve 1½ cups pasta water before draining.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium. Crumble sausages into pan, breaking into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Cook until browned, about 4 min.
- Add white parts of onions and cook until softened, about 2 min. Add kale and beans, and cook until kale wilts, about 2 min.
- Stir in pasta and 1 cup pasta water, adding more if needed. Top with green parts of onions and Parmesan, if desired.
Mashed beans soak up lots of liquid. Adjust texture of sauce to your liking by adding more pasta water.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 18 g,
- 49 g,
- 15 g,
- 5 g,
- 811 mg.