Mac and Cheese with Chicken and BroccoliBy Eshun Mott
This article has not been rated yet.
How do make a whole family happy? Give your kid’s favourite comfort meal a vitamin and protein boost with greens and rotisserie chicken.
- 454 g small pasta shells
- 2 cups small broccoli florets , and peeled, diced stems
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 ½ cups milk , warmed
- 2 ½ cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 cups diced leftover roast or rotisserie chicken
- dash black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente, according to package directions. Add broccoli to water for last 2 min of cooking. Drain pasta and broccoli; set aside.
- Melt butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté for 2 min or until onion is softened. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 min. Stir in mustard. Add milk to pan in a slow, steady stream while stirring constantly. Bring sauce to a gentle boil, stirring occasionally until thickened. Remove pan from heat and add both cheeses, a little at a time, stirring well until fully combined. Add chicken; season with pepper to taste.
- Add reserved pasta and broccoli to pan; stir until well coated with sauce. Serve immediately.