Originally published in the Today’s Parent May 2016 issue. Photo by Roberto Caruso.
Fajita PastaBy Chatelaine
Take your fajita recipe out of the wrap and into the pan with this noodle-y new spin.
- 300 g elicoidali , or penne
- 1 tbsp olive oil , divided
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts , cut crosswise into strips
- 2 tsp ground chili powder
- 1 onion , thinly sliced
- 1 red sweet pepper , thinly sliced
- 1 yellow sweet pepper , thinly sliced
- 1 green sweet pepper , thinly sliced
- 1 156-mL can tomato paste
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- grated cheddar , or monterey jack (optional)
- Cook pasta, following pack-age directions but omitting salt, until tender, 12 to 14 min. Drain, reserving 1 1/2 cups pasta water.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add 2 tsp oil, then chicken. Sprinkle with chili powder. Stir-fry chicken until almost no pink remains, 3 to 5 min. Transfer to a plate.
- Add remaining 1 tsp oil to pan, then onion and peppers. Cook, stirring occasionally, until veg-etables are tender, 5 to 6 min. Add tomato paste, salt, sugar and 1 cup reserved pasta water to pan. Cook for 2 min. Stir in pasta and chicken. Stir in remaining ½ cup pasta water, if needed. Sprinkle with cheese, if desired.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 34 g,
- 62 g,
- 6 g,
- 6 g,
- 450 mg.