Originally published in Today’s Parent magazine.
Chicken CacciatoreBy Eshun Mott
6 Adult Servings
This chicken cacciatore recipe makes a hearty Italian dish full of familiar kid-friendly flavours. Think "red-sauce pasta" the whole family can enjoy.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 kg boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cup diced red sweet pepper , (1-in. pieces)
- 227 g cremini mushrooms , cut into quarters (or eighths, if large)
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 796-mL can whole Italian plum tomatoes , squished up
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp chopped rosemary
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 3 tbsp chopped Italian parsley
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large deep skillet over medium-high. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Working in batches, cook chicken for 3 min or until lightly browned. Remove from pan and reserve.
- Add onions and red peppers to pan and sauté for 2 min or until beginning to soften. Add mushrooms and garlic, and sauté 2 min longer or until mushrooms are juicy. Add wine, bring to a boil and simmer 2 min or until reduced by half. Add tomatoes, thyme, rosemary and reserved chicken, and bring just to a boil.
- Cover, turn heat to low and simmer for 20 min or until chicken is tender and sauce is thick. Add olives and simmer for 5 min longer or until flavours have combined. Use a fork to pull chicken into chunks, then sprinkle with parsley and serve over egg noodles or with crusty bread for dipping.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 35 g,
- 13 g,
- 15 g,
- 3 g,
- 707 mg.