Originally published in the Today’s Parent May 2016 issue. Photo by Roberto Caruso.
Cauliflower Fettuccine AlfredoBy Chatelaine
Cauliflower is the great chameleon in this dish. It helps to thicken up the alfredo sauce, making it rich without a lot of cream.
- 1/2 head (about 3 cups) cauliflower , finely chopped
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 450 g fettucine
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/2 cup 35% cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch ground nutmeg , (optional)
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- Combine cauliflower with broth and water in a medium saucepan set over high. Boil, then reduce heat to medium. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until very soft, about 20 min. Transfer to a blender. Purée until very smooth.
- Cook pasta, following package directions but omitting salt, until tender, 6 to 8 min.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan set over medium. Add garlic. Cook until soft, about 1 min. Stir in cream, salt, and nutmeg, if desired. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and stir in Parmesan until melted. Stir in cauliflower purée. Add pasta and toss until coated. Garnish with parsley.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 28 g,
- 92 g,
- 23 g,
- 6 g,
- 911 mg.