Originally published in the Today’s Parent November 2016 issue. Photo by Roberto Caruso.
Bucatini CarbonaraBy Chatelaine
Parents of picky eaters gather near: this pasta tastes plain-ish, but packs protein with eggs and prosciutto. It's next-level.
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp 35% cream
- 1/3 cup Parmesan , finely grated, divided
- 1 450-g pkg bucatini or spaghetti
- 100 g prosciutto , (or 200 g pancetta), thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley , (optional)
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs with yolks, cream and 1/4 cup Parmesan. Set aside.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water, following package directions but omitting salt, until al dente, 7 to 8 min. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of pasta water. Return pasta to pot.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium. Cook prosciutto until lightly golden, about 5 min. Add prosciutto to pasta and return pasta to stovetop, reducing heat to low. Add egg mixture, stirring quickly to coat pasta, just until the sauce begins to thicken. If the sauce seems dry, add pasta water 1 tbsp at a time until creamy.
- Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and parsley, if using. Serve immediately.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 32 g,
- 85 g,
- 26 g,
- 4 g,
- 818 mg.