This article has not been rated yet.
"It's a bombe," I explain, "with an 'e.' Not bomb as in atomic." Jared is disappointed. He was hoping for something more dramatic. Oh well, maybe our hamburgers will catch fire.
first flavour (your choice)
second flavour (your choice)
third flavour (ditto)
1 1/2 cups
1 1/2 cups
- Line the inside of a 10 in. (25 cm) mixing bowl with plastic wrap. Spread the first flavour of ice cream in the bowl, creating an even layer about 1 in. (2 cm) thick. Put in the freezer until very firm – at least half an hour.
- Remove from the freezer and spread the second flavour of ice cream evenly over the first. Return bowl to the freezer until solid again – another half hour. Remove from the freezer and pack the last flavour solidly into the space left in the bowl. Smooth the surface of the ice cream, and return the whole thing to the freezer again, this time for several hours so that it becomes quite firm.
- Now, combine the whipping cream and chocolate chips in a small saucepan and place over low heat. Cook, stirring, just until the chocolate chips have melted and the mixture is smooth. Let cool for a few minutes, then beat with an electric mixer until fluffy – 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the bombe (with an “e”) from the freezer, and invert the bowl onto a serving plate. The ice cream should just fall out. Peel off the plastic wrap, then spread the whipped chocolate topping over the entire surface and return it to the freezer until you’re ready to serve.
- Very impressive, but not likely to blow up. Sorry.