This article has not been rated yet.
Here's a super-easy one that can be made ahead of time and kept in the freezer, leaving you free to do other stuff. Like buy presents. Or make another dessert.
- 2 cups 35% cream
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 2 tbsp amaretti cookie , (Italian almond cookies) or other crisp cookies, crushed
- 2 tbsp semi-sweet chocolate , finely chopped or grated
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 egg whites
- In a large bowl, beat the cream with the icing sugar until it forms soft peaks. Fold in the amaretti crumbs, chopped chocolate and vanilla.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff, then fold into the cream concoction.
- Place paper or foil muffin liners into the cups of a 12-cup muffin pan. Spoon the tortoni mixture into the paper liners, dividing the mixture evenly (a kid job if ever I saw one). Sprinkle the tops with a little more chopped chocolate or cookie crumbs.
- Freeze for at least 2 hours (or overnight).
- Let the Tortoni stand at room temperature for about 10 minutes to soften slightly before serving.