Originally published in the Today’s Parent July/August 2019 issue. Photo by Carmen Cheung.
Strawberry fruit-bottom overnight oatsBy Chatelaine
With less sugar than store-bought jam, these easy-to-make strawberry overnight oats are still tasty and packed with healthy fibre.
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh or frozen and thawed strawberries
- 2 tbsp chia seeds , preferably white
- 2 to 3 tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk or 2% milk
- 1 cup quick oats
- 2 tbsp flax meal
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp chia seeds , preferably white
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- pinch salt
- sliced strawberries , optional
- To make strawberry jam, mash strawberries in a medium bowl with a potato masher. Stir in chia seeds and 2 tbsp honey. (add more honey if you prefer it sweeter.) Carefully divide among four 250-mL Mason jars, refrigerate until thickened, about 15 mins.
- To make oats, combine almond milk with oats, flax meal, honey, chia seeds, vanilla and salt in a medium bowl. Pour into jars, overtop of jam. Cover and refrigerate overnight before serving.
- Serve topped with sliced fresh strawberries, if desired. Refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Make your own flax meal by grinding flaxseeds in a coffee grinder.
Make smaller portions by using eight 125-mL jars instead.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 6 g,
- 43 g,
- 6 g,
- 7 g,
- 64 mg.
- Good source of
- Vitamin C