Dad's Pie Crust
This article has not been rated yet.
2 to 2 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening , cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter , cut into small cubes
- 3 to 5 tbsp ice water
- In a food processor, combine flour and salt. Add shortening and butter, and pulse until pieces are pea-size, about 8-10 seconds.
- Still pulsing, add 3 tbsp (45 mL) ice water in a slow, steady stream. Pulse until dough holds together without being wet, no more than 30 seconds. To test, squeeze a little dough; if it crumbles, add more water a little at a time.
- Divide dough in half. Flatten each piece into a circle, fold in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour before rolling out on a floured surface. (If you only need 1 crust, freeze the other piece.)
- Makes 2 single 9 in (23 cm) crusts.
- In 1 crust: 137 calories, 2 g protein, 9 g fat, 12 g carbs