Completely Addictive Tomato Bruschetta
4 to 6 servings
It took us about 15 minutes to devour an entire loaf of French bread topped with this tasty bruschetta mixture. We would have eaten more, except we only had one loaf of bread. If this is an appetizer, who needs dinner?
- 750 g plum tomatoes , seeded (roughly 6 to 8)
- 2 tbsp basil , chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion , or yellow onion (or less, or none)
- 2 garlic cloves , chopped (or less, or more, depending)
- 1 tbsp capers , (totally optional, but very fancy shmancy)
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar , (or red wine vinegar)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- black pepper
- Chop the seeded tomatoes and basil, and dump them into a bowl. Your child can stir this mixture as you add the chopped onion, garlic and capers. Now add the vinegar, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Let stand at room temperature for about 1 hour to let the flavours blend. Don’t refrigerate.
- Spoon bruschetta mixture onto toasted French or Italian bread and prepare to be hooked. An easy way to do a lot at once is to cut a French baguette in half lengthwise, place on a cookie sheet and put under a preheated broiler just until very lightly toasted. Don’t leave the room, don’t answer the phone, don’t pay the paper boy. Stand right there and wait. Remove from the oven, spoon bruschetta mixture evenly over the bread and cut into 2 in. (5 cm) sections to serve.