Black and Orange Salad
This article has not been rated yet.
The ultimate Halloween side dish: colour-coordinated and, oh yes, very tasty.
- 1 540-mL can black beans , drained and rinsed
- 2 cups diced carrots , (fresh or frozen), cooked until tender (but still a bit crisp)
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp spicy mustard , (like Dijon)
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, toss together the beans and the carrots. Very pretty, no? In a small bowl, mix together the ketchup, vinegar, mustard and sugar. Gradually whisk in the oil until smooth. Toss the dressing with the beans and carrots and refrigerate for several hours, to allow the dressing to soak in.
- For real Halloweeny-ness, serve the Black and Orange Salad spooned into orange bell peppers that have been cut around the top like a Jack-o-lantern, with the seeds removed. And for extra bonus points, carve a face into each one with a small, sharp knife.