Key Lime Cheesecake
This article has not been rated yet.
6 to 8 servings
If you prefer a larger springform pan-sized cheesecake, just smoosh the prepared graham cracker crust into the bottom of a 9 in (23 cm) springform pan, and fill with a double quantity of lime cheesecake filling. Chilling time will be slightly longer.
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 1/2 tsp unflavoured gelatin , (about half a packet)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg , beaten
- 1 125-g pkg cream cheese , softened
- 1 tsp grated lime zest
- 1/2 cup 35% cream
- 1 9-in. graham cracker crust
- whipped cream , for garnish
- lime slices , for garnish
- In medium size, microwave-safe bowl, combine the gelatin powder with the lime juice and let soften for about 5 minutes. Stir in the sugar and beaten egg and whisk until well mixed. Place in the microwave and cook on high power for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, stopping to whisk the mixture every 15 seconds, just until thickened and foamy. Be careful not to overcook the mixture, it can curdle. (If you are making a double quantity of filling, increase the microwave cooking time to about 2 1/2 minutes) Remove from microwave and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the hot lime/egg mixture and continue beating until well mixed and completely blended. Stir in the lime peel, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator until cool and slightly thickened, 30 minutes to one hour.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the whipping cream until stiff. Fold gently into the chilled cream cheese mixture, then pour into the graham cracker crust. Refrigerate until set, 1 to 2 hours.
- Garnish cheesecake with artistically applied blobs of sweetened whipped cream and slices of fresh lime or shreds of lime zest.