Originally published in the Today’s Parent May/June 2019 issue. Photo by Roberto Caruso.
Mexican mole drumsticksBy Chatelaine
Chicken + chocolate = weeknight dinner success. This Mexican-style dish may not be Insta-worthy, but it more than makes up for it in flavour.
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 56 g finely chopped semi-sweet chocolate , (about 1/3 cup)
- 4 tbsp toasted sesame seeds , divided
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 4 tsp canola oil , divided
- 1 onion , halved and thinly sliced
- 8 chicken drumsticks , (about 1 kg)
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin , divided
- 1 tsp cinnamon , divided
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/2 cup cilantro , (optional)
- 4 small crusty buns , (could also use bolillos)
- Position rack in centre of oven, then preheat broiler. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Blend broth, chocolate, 3 tbsp sesame seeds, orange juice and almond butter in a blender. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a large frying pan over medium. Cook onion, until golden-brown, 8 to 10 min. Meanwhile, toss chicken with remaining 2 tsp oil and 1/2 tsp each cumin and cinnamon on prepared sheet. Broil until golden-brown, 5 to 7 min.
- Add garlic, and remaining 1 tsp cumin and 1/2 tsp cinnamon to onion and cook, 1 min. Add to blender. Blend until smooth, then return to pan set at medium heat. Add chicken to sauce and cook, covered, stirring occasionally until sauce has thickened, 13 to 15 min. Uncover for the last 5 min of cooking.
- Spoon sauce over chicken and sprinkle with remaining 1 tbsp sesame seeds and cilantro. Serve with buns.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 38 g,
- 50 g,
- 38 g,
- 5 g,
- 807 mg.