Originally published in the June 2014 issue. Photo by Maya Visnyei.
Grilled Fish Tacos with Pineapple SalsaBy Eshun Mott
Want your kids to eat more seafood? Serve up these grilled fish tacos and all those beneficial omega-3s will be gobbled up, no question.
- 2 tbsp olive oil , divided
- 1 tsp grated garlic
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne
- 1/4 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 lb. tilapia
- 1/4 small pineapple , core removed, cut into long spears
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp chopped, seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 lime
- 8 small corn tortillas
- Combine 1 tbsp olive oil with garlic, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, sugar, salt and pepper, and rub all over tilapia. Let fish stand 10 min at room temperature to marinate. Heat barbecue or grill pan on medium-high.
- Grill pineapple 1 to 2 min per side or until juicy and grill marked. Dice and toss with tomato, remaining 1 tbsp oil, green onion, cilantro, jalapeño and a pinch of salt
- Brush grill lightly with oil and grill fish 3 min per side or until it flakes slightly when pressed firmly in the middle. Remove from heat, squeeze lime juice over fish and break into chunks.
- Grill tortillas for 10 sec per side until warmed and browned in spots. Top with fish and pineapple salsa and serve.
Cilantro can be a big flavour for little taste buds. Serve on the side and let herb-shy diners garnish their own tacos.
Let your barbecue get fully hot before oiling to keep fish from sticking.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 30 g,
- 38 g,
- 13 g,
- 3 g,
- 503 mg.