Originally published in the September 2013 issue. Recipe by Sweet Potato Chronicles, photo by Maya Visnyei.
Sweet Potato French ToastBy Ceri Marsh
Veggies make a sneaky cameo in this French toast recipe. It's so delicious, your kids won't even notice.
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 slices spelt bread
- 4 cups swet potato puree
- 2 eggs
- 5 cups milk
- 1 tsp agave nectar , or maple syrup
- 4 tsp ground cinnamon
- ground nutmeg , to taste
- agave nectar , or maple syrup for drizzling
- Melt 1 tbsp of the butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Cut each slice of bread into four lengthwise sticks.
- Whisk the sweet potato purée with the eggs, milk and agave nectar. Add the cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg. Sink each stick from two slices of bread in the egg mixture and flip to coat completely. Place the eggsoaked bread 8 sticks at a time into the hot pan.
- Cook for 3 mins and then flip. Cook for another 2 mins and remove from the pan. Add the remaining 1 tbsp of butter to the pan and cook the remaining sticks of bread. Stack and serve warm with maple syrup or agave nectar.