Chicken, Pumpkin and Sage RisottoBy Ceri Marsh
8 Adult Sized Servings
- 6 cups chicken broth , (homemade or low-sodium)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts , cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 4 sage leaves , chopped
- 2 1/2 cups cubed pumpkin , (1/2-in. cubes)
- 1 cup Parmesan
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- In a saucepan over medium heat, bring chicken stock to a simmer. Then, reduce heat to low.
- Place oil in a large pot over medium heat and add onion. Cook for 2 to 3 min; add chicken. Continue to cook until chicken is lightly browned on all sides and onion is translucent, about 8 min.
- Add rice, and don’t you dare stop stirring! The rice will begin to turn translucent after about a min. Add sage, pumpkin and 1 cup warmed chicken stock; bring to a simmer. Allow mixture to simmer while you continue stirring. As stock is absorbed, add another cup. Stir. Stir. Stir. Continue adding stock while stirring until you’ve used all the chicken stock. It will take 25 to 30 min.
- Taste the rice to be certain it is cooked; it should be tender but still be a little al dente. Your risotto should be fairly loose and shouldn’t clump up on your plate; if it starts to stick too much, add a bit of warm water.
- Take the pot off the heat and mix in Parmesan cheese and pepper. Cover and allow to sit for 2 min. Serve immediately.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 19 g,
- 44 g,
- 8 g,
- 1 g,
- 654 mg.