Tropical Fruit Skewers
This article has not been rated yet.
Add a scoop of ice cream or frozen yogurt, and this is the perfect ending to a summer meal.
- 1/2 medium pineapple
- 2 firm ripe bananas
- 2 ripe kiwi fruit
- 1 medium ripe papaya , (or cantaloupe)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp orange juice , or pineapple juice
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- ice cream , or frozen yogurt as an accompaniment
- First prepare the fruit. Core and peel the pineapple and cut it into 1 x 2 in (2 x 5 cm) chunks. Peel the bananas and cut into 1 in (2 cm) pieces. Peel the kiwis and cut each one into 2 or 3 pieces, lengthwise (depending on the size). Peel the papaya, remove the seeds and cut into 1 x 2 in (2 x 5 cm) chunks.
- Using two bamboo skewers for each, thread chunks of fruit onto each double skewer, mixing it up so that no one gets left with only bananas at the end. (Using double skewers prevents the fruit from spinning around on the stick.) Arrange on a plate.
- In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, orange or pineapple juice, cinnamon and ginger. Brush this mixture onto the fruit skewers and let sit while you preheat the barbecue to medium heat – about 5 minutes.
- Grill skewers on the preheated barbecue, turning to grill evenly on all sides, for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until heated through and lightly browned. Serve immediately with ice cream.