Tex-Mex Shepherd's Pie
This article has not been rated yet.
8 to 10 servings
Give this family standard a makeover with chili-powder-infused ground turkey and a golden, sweet potato topping. Bonus: This recipe makes two casseroles; one for now and one for the freezer!
- 6 medium sweet potatoes , (about 1.75 kg)
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cooking onion , chopped
- 500 g ground turkey
- 4 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 to 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Pierce sweet potatoes with a fork and bake on a foil-lined baking sheet for 1 hour or until soft and tender. Let cool. Peel away skins. Meanwhile, in a medium pot, melt 4 tbsp butter on low. Turn off heat. Add sweet potatoes, milk, cinnamon, 1/4 of the black pepper and 1 tsp of the salt. Mash until smooth.
- In a large, non-stick pan, heat oil at medium high, add onion and cook 3 minutes or until soft. Add ground turkey, and season with the remaining black pepper and salt, chili powder, cumin and cayenne. Cook until no longer pink – about 8 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour with 1/3 cup (75 mL) water. Add flour mixture, tomato paste, chicken stock and frozen corn to pan. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook another 5 minutes.
- Fill a 9 in. (20 cm) square pan with – the turkey mixture and cover with 1/2 the mashed sweet potatoes, using a knife or spatula to create a smooth, icing-like layer. Brush the top with 1 tbsp melted butter. Use remaining ingredients to make a second casserole.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and bake for 30 minutes. (For frozen casserole, bake at 350°F/180°C for 1 hour and 15 minutes.)