Simple Braised Brisket with Lemon-Parsley Garnish
4 Servings (with leftovers)
Try this make-ahead recipe for simple braised brisket with a lemon-parsley garnish.
- 4 lb boneless beef brisket pot roast , trimmed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 1/2 white onion , chopped
- 2 tbsp garlic , finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
FOR LEMON-PARSLEY GARNISH:
- 1/4 cup parsley , chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp garlic , finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Divide brisket into 4 evenly sized pieces; season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a wide, heavy pot over medium high. In batches, brown brisket on all sides, 8 to 10 min. Transfer to a plate. Keep 1 tbsp of oil in pot, discard remaining oil, and reduce heat to medium.
- Add onions and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 5 to 8 min.
- Add tomato paste, bay leaves and red wine, then stirring and scraping brown bits, cook and reduce for 5 min.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Return brisket and any accumulated juices to pot, meat side down. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook until fork-tender, 3 to 3½ hours.
- Meanwhile, make the Lemon-Parsley Garnish: In a bowl, mix ingredients. Sprinkle over thinly sliced brisket and serve with sauce.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 45 g,
- 4 g,
- 16 g,
- 244 mg.