This article has not been rated yet.
2 to 2
Make this recipe tonight, then store the ample leftovers for a healthy, homemade meal your family can enjoy anytime
- 1/4 cup olive oil , or vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions , chopped
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 green or red sweet peppers , diced
- 2 carrots , scrubbed and diced
- 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1.5 kg lean ground beef , or ground turkey
- 1 350-g pkg frozen green peas
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes , (or spaghetti sauce)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 8 medium potatoes , peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup butter , (or margarine)
- 1 cup milk , (or unsweetened soy milk)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until softened. Add the peppers, carrots and mushrooms, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until the carrots are starting to soften. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the ground beef or turkey to the skillet and cook, stirring to break up the clumps, for about 10 minutes, until the meat is no longer pink. Add the peas and crushed tomatoes and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Return vegetables to the skillet, season with salt and pepper, then transfer the entire mixture to two 9 x 11 in (23 x 28 cm) foil pans.
- While the meat mixture is bubbling away, cook the potatoes in boiling water (in a steamer) until completely tender when poked with a fork. Drain thoroughly and return to the pot in which they were cooked. Mash until smooth, adding the butter, milk, and salt and pepper to taste. Spread the mashed potatoes, while they are still warm, over the meat mixture in the baking dish. Sprinkle the top with paprika and let cool to room temperature. Cover the pans tightly with aluminum foil, label and freeze.
- To serve, defrost completely in the refrigerator. Remove foil and bake at 350ºF (180ºC) for 40 to 45 minutes (placing a pan underneath to catch drips), until the top is golden and the meat is bubbling underneath