Quick Fried Rice
This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 6 servings
Day-old cooked rice gets a tasty lift with this easy, Asian-inspired recipe
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs , beaten
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts , or 1 lb (500 g) pork loin
- black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 3 green onions , thinly sliced
- 1 red sweet pepper , thinly sliced
- 1 cup snow peas , trimmed and sliced in half on the diagonal
- 12 small shiitake mushrooms , or button mushrooms, stems removed and thinly sliced
- 4 cups day-old cooked rice
- In a small bowl, whisk soy sauce, hoisin and stock; set aside. Heat 2 tsp (10 mL) oil in a wok, or large non-stick skillet, over medium high. Add eggs; stir often to scramble, 1-2 minutes. Scrape into small bowl and set aside.
- Slice chicken into thin strips 1⁄2 in (1 cm) thick. Season with generous pinches of salt and pepper. Heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil in the same skillet over medium high. Cook chicken, tossing often, until cooked through, 5-7 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil to skillet. Add garlic, ginger and green onion, and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add pepper, snow peas and mushrooms, and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes longer. Return chicken and egg to the skillet, along with rice and soy sauce mixture. Stir well.
- Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook, stirring often, until well combined and piping hot, about 5 minutes. Taste and add more salt or soy sauce to taste.
- In a serving: 379 calories, 25 g protein, 10 g fat, 46 g carbs, 3 g dietary fibre, 43 mg calcium, 2 mg iron, 30 mcg folate
Nutrition (per serving)
- 25 g,
- 10 g,
- 2 mg.