This article has not been rated yet.
6 to 6 servings
A healthy secret ingredient - tofu - makes this vegetarian baked pasta dish taste creamy and decadent
- 1 lb whole wheat penne
- 3/4 cup silken tofu
- 1 bottle strained crushed tomato
- 2 tbsp pesto sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded partly skimmed mozzarella , divided
- 2 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package instructions for al dente. Drain, rinse with cold water and drain again.
- Place tofu in a medium pot and mash with a potato masher. Add tomatoes, pesto, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- In a greased 10 x 8 x 2 in (2.5 L) baking dish, combine drained pasta, sauce and 1 cup (250 mL) of the shredded cheese. Sprinkle remaining mozzarella and Parmesan over top. (If making ahead: Cover and refrigerate up to 48 hours.) Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes (or 40 minutes if refrigerated). Remove foil and brown under broiler 2-3 minutes.
- Makes 6 servings.
- In a serving: 207 calories, 21 g protein, 9 g fat, 64 g carbs, 7 g dietary fibre, 262 mg calcium