Pineapple Kiwi Jam
This article has not been rated yet.
Better known in our house as Mashed Frog Jam. Well, it’s the colour, mostly, since I don’t think it tastes anything like mashed frog – not that I would know.
- 1 ripe medium pineapple
- 6 to 8 ripe kiwi fruit
- 1 57-g pkg regular pectin crystals
- 5 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- First, prepare the fruit. Start with the pineapple. Cut off the top and bottom, and peel off the outer alligator-like skin. Cut, lengthwise, into quarters and remove the tough inner core. Chop the flesh very finely (you can use a food processor – just be careful not to pur’e the fruit). Place in a large measuring cup. You should have about 2½ cups (625 mL) of pineapple pulp. Now peel and chop the kiwi so that the total amount of fruit (pineapple and kiwi combined) is 4½ cups (1.13 L).
- Transfer the pineapple and kiwi fruit to a large pot – at least 6 quart (6 L) capacity. Add the pectin crystals and stir to combine, then bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Add the sugar, let the mixture return to a full rolling boil and cook for exactly one minute after it reaches a boil.
- Remove from heat and ladle immediately into hot, sterilized jars (see ‘Jam Production’). Cover with new lids, and screw on the band. Let cool, shaking the jars occasionally to prevent all the fruit from floating to the top as it sets.