Tender boneless chicken thighs are half the price and, we think, have twice the flavour of boneless chicken breasts. But you can make this recipe with white meat if your kids insist.
- 2 lemons
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs , or 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Squeeze 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) juice from lemons into a small bowl. Stir with orange juice, oil, basil, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper. Place chicken in a large zip-top bag. Add marinade. Push chicken down into marinade and massage to cover evenly, then squeeze out as much air as possible from bag. Close zip-top. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Lightly oil grill and preheat barbecue to medium high. Drain marinade from chicken and reserve. Grill chicken until golden, 8-10 minutes per side. Brush often with reserved marinade, except during the last 5 minutes of grilling (this ensures that the marinade cooks thoroughly and prevents cross-contamination with raw meat juices). Serve with rice pilaf and Greek salad.
- Makes 8 thighs for 4 servings.
- In 1 thigh: 187 calories, 27 g protein, 7 g fat, 2 g carbs, 1 mg iron, 18 mg calcium