This article has not been rated yet.
You can create a gourmet main-course while preparing a delicious Zoom-Zoom Baked Ziti (ready to bake) for the next night's dinner. The trick? The prep for both dishes is done at the same time.
- 3 medium eggplants
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3-4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 454 g penne pasta
- 2 bottles (650 mL each) store-bought tomato pasta sauce
- 1 340 g ball part-skim mozzarella , grated, or 320 g grated part-skim mozzarella
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup lightly packed basil leaves
- pinches (generous) black pepper
- Preheat oven 375°F (190°C). Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Slice 2 eggplants into rounds, 1⁄2 in (1 cm) thick. Chop remaining eggplant into 1⁄2 in (1 cm) cubes.
- For Eggplant Parmesan, whisk eggs in a shallow dish. Place bread crumbs and flour in separate shallow dishes. Add a couple of slices of eggplant to flour. Turn to lightly coat.
- Shake off excess and place on a plate. Repeat with remaining slices. Working with 1 eggplant slice at a time, dip in egg, allowing excess to drip off; coat in bread crumbs. Generously coat a large non-stick frying pan with 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil and set over medium heat.
- When hot, cook eggplant slices until golden and almost tender, about 5 minutes per side. You will need to cook in batches. Do not crowd the pan. Adjust heat and add more oil to pan as needed.
- While eggplant is frying, prepare penne for Zoom-Zoom Baked Ziti. When water is boiling, add penne. Cook until al dente, 8-10 minutes. Drain, then drizzle a little oil overtop and stir to coat.
- Meanwhile, assemble Eggplant Parmesan by placing half of eggplant slices on baking sheet. Top each slice with a scant 1⁄4 cup (50 mL) tomato sauce and sprinkle with 2 tbsp (30 mL) mozzarella. Top each with another eggplant slice, then 1 tbsp (15 mL) tomato sauce and a small sprinkle of mozzarella and Parmesan. Bake until cheese melts and eggplant is tender, 15-30 minutes. Gently tear and scatter basil leaves overtop. Serve immediately. Great with Caesar salad.
- While Eggplant Parmesan is baking, prepare Zoom-Zoom Baked Ziti. Return empty pasta pot to stove and set to medium heat. Add a tbsp (15 mL) of oil. When hot, add eggplant cubes. Sprinkle with pepper. Stir until tender, 3-5 minutes. Add remaining tomato sauce, penne and 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) Parmesan. Stir to mix. Turn into a greased 9 x 13 in (3 L) baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Cover with oiled foil, tenting so cheese doesn’t stick. Refrigerate up to 2 days.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 16 g,
- 15 g,