Originally published in the Today’s Parent November/December 2018 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Christmas icebox cookiesBy Chatelaine
1 h 30 min
This make-ahead dough will be your holiday savour. Prepare the dough now and then freeze it until that holiday bake sale or unexpected guest pops up.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup red, green and white sprinkles , (optional)
- 1 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulalted sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- Stir flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Add sprinkles, if desired. Preheat oven to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- Beat butter and sugar on medium-high in a large bowl until fluffy. Gradually beat in egg and vanilla. Beat in flour mixture until just combined. Gather dough into a ball and divide in half, rolling each portion into a 2-in.-wide log. Wrap logs in waxed paper and chill until firm, 1 to 1½ hr.
- Slice cookies into ¼-in. rounds and arrange 1 in. apart on prepared sheets. Bake until golden, 10 to 12 min. Let cool on sheets for 1 min, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Whisk icing sugar with milk until smooth. Brush cookies with a thin layer of icing.
Nutrition (per cookie)
- 1 g,
- 7 g,
- 3 g,
- 23 mg.