Chicken Pot Pies
This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 4 servings
Turn leftover chicken into yummy pies.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 carrots , cut into 1/2-in. chunks
- 2 stalks celery , cut into 1/2-in. pieces
- 1 onion , chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups cubed chicken , about 3 or 4 breasts
- 3/4 cup frozen green peas
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 397-g pkg frozen puff pastry , defrosted according to package directions
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the carrots, celery, onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken broth, cover and simmer for 6 to 8 minutes or until the carrots are tender when pierced with a fork.
- In a small bowl, whisk together half the milk with the flour until smooth. Add the remaining milk and stir until perfectly smooth. Pour milk mixture into the saucepan, stirring constantly until the sauce thickens and begins to bubble. Let simmer over low heat for just 1 minute. Add the chicken, peas, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir well, let the mixture return to a boil and simmer for 1 or 2 minutes until heated through and blended. Remove from heat.
- Spoon the chicken mixture evenly into 6 individual 1 cup (250 mL) casserole dishes or 4 individual 1½ (375 mL) dishes. Let cool while you prepare the pastry topping.
- Unwrap the puff pastry and divide the dough into 2 squares (it usually comes as 2 semi-attached blocks). On a lightly floured surface, roll 1 square of pastry out into a long rectangle 6 x 18 in (15 x 45 cm). Using a pizza wheel or scissors, cut three 6 in (15 cm) circles of dough. Set aside and repeat with the second block of pastry, giving you 6 circles.
- Lightly dampen the rim of each casserole dish with a finger dipped in water and cover with a circle of dough, draping it over the side of the dish. Pat lightly so it sticks. Cut several slits in the top of the pastry to allow the steam to escape. If not baking immediately, refrigerate until you’re ready to bake.
- Preheat the oven to 400F (200C). Arrange the casseroles on a baking sheet and place in the oven. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until puffed and browned and the chicken mixture is bubbling. Let cool for a minute or two (they’ll be really hot) before serving.