Blueberry Cream Cheese French Toast
This blueberry cream cheese French toast is a make-ahead dish perfect for a crowd. It stays crisp outside, with a tender, blueberry- and cream-cheese-filled centre. The kids will go back for more if the adults don't eat it all first!
- 12 slices bakery-style cinnamon or egg bread
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter , softened
- 4 cups frozen wild blueberries
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 250 g package cream cheese , diced
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups 10% cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups cornflakes , crushed
- icing sugar , optional
- Butter one side of each bread slice. Place half of the bread slices into a 13 x 9 in (3 L) baking dish, butter-side down. Stir cornstarch into blueberries and sprinkle over bread slices. Dot with cream cheese and top with remaining bread slices, butter-side down, to allow egg to soak into the bread.
- In a large bowl, whisk together, eggs, cream, sugar and vanilla until well combined. Pour over bread and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or for up to 24 hours.
- Uncover. Using a spatula, press bread down gently. Sprinkle with cornflakes and bake in the centre of a preheated 375°F (190°C) oven for about 45 minutes, or until knife inserted in centre comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Dust with icing sugar if desired.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 10 g,
- 43 g,
- 18 g,
- 3 g,
- 356 mg.