Baked Risotto with Pumpkin and Feta
This tasty, one-dish meal practically cooks itself!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion , finely chopped
- 1 tbsp dried thyme leaves
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 5-6 cups chicken broth , or vegetable broth
- 1 small pumpkin , or butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-in. dice (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley , basil or sage (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and thyme and cook until soft and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute until evenly coated. Add 3 cups (750 mL) of the broth and the pumpkin, and bring to a simmer.
- Carefully transfer to an 8 cup (2 L) ovenproof dish and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and stir in an additional 2 cups (500 mL) of broth, along with the peas, salt and pepper. Cover and bake for a further 5-10 minutes, or until rice is al dente (tender-firm) and most of the liquid is absorbed. Rice should be creamy; if it looks dry, add additional stock and stir gently to combine. To serve, spoon risotto into bowls. If you wish, sprinkle with feta and parsley.
- Makes 4-6 servings.
- In a serving: 395 calories, 12 g protein, 11 g fat, 63 g carbs, 3 g dietary fibre, 163 mg calcium, 2 mg iron, 34 mcg folate