Originally published in the Today’s Parent May + June 2017 issue. Photo by Roberto Caruso.
Bake-Ahead French Toast LoafBy Chatelaine
1 h 5 min
A sweet egg-soaked loaf that you bake-ahead? This newfangled French toast recipe is so simple and great for sopping up syrup or eating with jam. It's perfect for hectic mornings.
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup 35% whipping cream
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup granulated sugar , divided
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 loaf French bread , about 600 g
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- berries and nuts
- Position rack in bottom third of oven. Preheat to 375F. Line the bottom of a 9 × 13-in. baking dish with parchment. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs with cream, milk, ¼ cup sugar and cinnamon.
- Cut bread into 1-in. slices, stopping 1 in. from the bottom so it stays intact. Place bread in prepared dish. Slowly pour egg mixture overtop, letting it soak in evenly between slices. Flip bread over and let stand 15 min. Flip back and drizzle cut side with butter, then sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup sugar.
- Bake in bottom third of oven until golden brown, 35 to 40 min. Serve with maple syrup, berries and nuts.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 17 g,
- 76 g,
- 23 g,
- 3 g,
- 769 mg.
- Good source of
- vitamin B12